Restorative Justice (RJ) gives victims of crime within North Yorkshire the chance to communicate with their offenders to explain the real impact the crime has had on them—it empowers victims by giving them a voice. It also holds offenders to account for what they have done and helps them to take responsibility and make amends.
We are currently looking for volunteers to work 2/3 hours per week alongside our specialist provider (currently Remedi), to raise awareness of Restorative Justice and how this can be used to support victims of crime within North Yorkshire. You will set up workshops for drop in sessions, work with our community groups to educate and promote Restorative Justice and work as a key bridge between the specialist provider and North Yorkshire Police.
Duties may include:
Attending North Yorkshire Police (NYP) briefings with local neighbourhood teams
- Setting up RJ workshops across NYP for officers to provide drop ins to promote the use of RJ and highlight cases where RJ may be beneficial
- Providing additional educational opportunities for officers and staff as they arise in discussion with commissioned provider and the Police and Crime Commissioner
- Working as a key bridge between the specialist provider and NYP for RJ activity
- Working on behalf of NYP to raise awareness of RJ across communities and partnerships to understand how to make referrals and enable communities to opt in to the service as required.
- Taking part in delivering indirect Restorative interventions including letters and verbal communication to victims and offenders.
- Supporting RJ Practitioner in some cases, as the second practitioner in the direct meetings between victims and offenders.
You will receive full training in order to give satisfaction to victims and to give them a voice in the Criminal Justice Process.
Partnership work/networking skills
Experience of training
Good communication skills
Empathy and resilience
Understanding/or knowledge and interest of restorative justice
Desirable: background in criminal justice
If you feel you can make a difference then please complete an application form.
Applications close at 9am on the 27th July and it is anticipated that interviews will take place WC 6th August.